Friday, February 5, 2010

'The Holy Grail Of Hellebores'



Temptation stared me in the face today when we made our first visit of the year to the garden centre and I could not resist. She just had to fall into my basket - she being hellebore 'Walberton's Rosemary'. She is a new introduction and is described here and here by Graham Rice as the 'Holy Grail Of Hellebores'. She is a cross between hellebore niger and hellebore orientalis and was raised by plant breeder David Tristram, whose father played a large part in the development of the ‘Potter's Wheel' Christmas rose in the 1960s. I did not know all this when I decided that she must come home with us but was drawn to the plant by its large flowers, vibrant colour and the fact that there are many more buds waiting to open.

I came away with a few other purchases too. The purpose of the trip had been to buy some seed potatoes and I came away with two of the varieties on my list - 'Lady Christl' and 'Pink Fir Apple'. I excitedly spotted another variety on the list but they were already well sprouted, the result of being kept in too warm conditions so I left them on the shelf. I made a beeline for some of the highly scented white 'Casa Blanca' lilies which I am sure can go in a pot somewhere My last purchase was a couple of dahlias -'Black Wizard' and 'David Howard' which are destined for the allotment.

Back home it was warm enough for the first time this year to work outside without feeling that fingers were about to drop off. A special bonus - the sun came out and spring does not seem so much in doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment