Thursday, January 7, 2010

Shiver Me Timbers!



The 'Big Freeze' continues. Today himself was waxing lyrical about the formation of the ice crystals on the greenhouse. "Look you can see flowers and trees - why don't you take some photos!" he said excitedly, whilst I was frantically checking the health of its winter residents and muttering under my breath. The orlaya grandiflora, ammi visigna,'Meteor' peas and a fluffy grass that I had sown in early autumn are looking most melancholy. They had been well wrapped with horticultural fleece and looked alert when I last peeked at them at the weekend. I stuck my fingers into the compost this afternoon and met with resistance - the compost in the cell trays was completely frozen :( I have bought them indoors into the presently unheated dining room on the basis that a gentle warming up might revive them but I am not too optimistic. Why did I not do this a couple of days ago? As to the other side of the greenhouse I must have had a premonition and switched the heated sand bench on a while ago so the sweet peas appear not to have suffered. Normally the greenhouse would have been more full but as there was a gap between old one being dismantled and new one being put up, I did not take any cuttings to overwinter.



On to more happy matters. I've had the great privilege of being asked to be a contributor to Teza's Garden Forum which will be posted on the 7th of each month. Here Teza from - Teza's Garden, Alice - Bay Area Tendrils, Deborah - Green Theatre , Grace - Gardening With Grace, Joy -GardenJoy4Me and myself will be chatting about a range of garden related subjects over the coming months. It promises to be great fun so thank you Teza for the invitation to the party! I am now off to find my specs so that I can have a good read of the first installment.

No comments:

Post a Comment