Monday, June 20, 2011

Raindrops Keep Falling On My Shed


Whilst southern family and friend talk about drought conditions, it seems to have done little else but rain here in the north west of England for the last month or so. Not only rain but there has been wind too - in fact May bought more typical autumnal weather than it did balmy spring days. Progress at the allotment seems to move at snail pace this year. I seem to have spent much time in my shed peering out in vain for gaps in the seemingly endless procession of rain clouds. This last Saturday afternoon was no exception. I arrived at the allotment just after 3.00pm with a specific action plan in mind. Despite the promising forecast I clocked some ominous looking clouds so made strawberry and raspberry picking my priority. I am glad that I did for within an half an hour or so the skies opened, unleashing what turned out to eventually be some very heavy rain. Slowly my fellow plot holders drifted off until there were only a handful of us left on site. I was stuck having arranged for himself to pick me up later in in the afternoon. So marooned in my shed I made the most of the time listening to my tin pot radio whilst doing some more tidying up. I don't think that my shed has so been so spick and span ~  tools all in order, pots stacked in order of size, carpets swept and shelves tidied. Eventually the rain eased enough for me to venture out where I managed to complete a couple of jobs one handed whilst the other held up my umbrella. Time to exchange a few words with my previously invisible fellow plot holders who had also taken refuge in their respective sheds, time to take some sambucus cuttings generously offered by another plot holder and then home clutching strawberries for a sticky evening of jam making.

No comments:

Post a Comment