Sunday, May 2, 2010

End of Month View ~ April 2010



Well here we are - another month down the line and isn't the year just flying. My end of month post, inspired by Patient Gardener is slightly late as it poured down on Friday. It ceased early in the evening but the light was not good so I have been out there camera in hand today. I was amazed to see how much growth there has been in the last month. Here is more or less the same spot at the end of March. I have been delighted with hellebore 'Mrs Betty Ranicar' this year - last year she sulked and produced a paltry handful of flowers. This year she has been most floriferous - isn't that such a satisfying word ?



She has also been going strong for a good month or so now and whilst the other hellebore flowers are spent she still looks attractive. Now if only she would set seed - she is meant to come more or less true but has never produced as much as a single seed in the few years she has been in residence. Some of the other residents in close up ~





Truth be told I have not done much in the border since last month other than get rid of one or two annoyances so there are now some bare patches. I have some nectaroscordum siculum bulgaricum grown in pots waiting to go in, some orlaya grandiflora grown from seed and a white pulmonaria. Priorities now are to remove the self seeded rosa rubignosa and self seeded tree (possibly a chestnut) which I thought was a stem of the weigela. Note to self that I should wear my specs more often in the garden. Other than that I need to get in and behind and sort out the back, do some dividing and repositioning of plants (may have to wait now to do this) and include some autumn colour and interest. Easy peasy really. I am hoping to crack on tomorrow - I am trying to make this week a by and large allotment free few days as I have really been neglecting the garden for some time much to my shame. Before I start I need to remove the pile of bricks that himself has so considerately arranged in front of the border. It will make access and taking photos so much easier!

No comments:

Post a Comment