Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Not Guilty M'Lud!

T IS FOR?



TILES AND TRIBULATIONS!

This is a tale that started off at the allotment and ended up in a court room. Have no fear - I have not spiked my fellow plot holder's perfect pumpkin with a toxic substance or purloined their potentially prize winning leeks. It happened like this ~

One summer day earlier this year as I was crouched on my haunches (favourite position of allotmenters) planting something in the ground, I heard the sound of the car pull up and espied the occupants of the plot opposite me arrive. Within a minute or so, the early morning peace and stillness was pleasantly pierced as an operatic aria sung in full throttle floated through the air. When this came to an end I jumped to my feet, clapping my hands in appreciation shouting 'Bravo!' and 'Encore!'. This was much to the mortification of my plot neighbour who thought that he had the place to himself.

It transpired that R. belongs to an operatic society and had been practising one of the songs that he was going to sing in a imminent production of Gilbert and Sullivan's 'Trial By Jury'. He suggested that we might enjoy the production. He explained that it was being staged in the very courtroom in Liverpool, where W.S. Gilbert practiced as a barrister for a short spell, before he moved on to matters musical. How spooky is that ~



This thoroughly enjoyable short but sweet operetta was held at St.George's Hall, Liverpool. ~



When I went to get our tickets I was delighted to find out that we would also get a rare chance to see the famous Minton tiles which form a priceless mosaic floor of 30,000 tiles. These are usually covered to avoid wear and fade but but come out from under their wraps occasionally. The tiles were going to be on show for a couple of weeks on the same dates as 'Trial By Jury' was on. So went into town early, gazed in astonishment at the tiles and also took in an unexpected exhibition of George Harrison paraphernalia, before making our way to court. A grand day out !









Do not tarry but trip over now to ABC Wednesday for more on the letter T!

P.S. If you would like to be entered into a draw to celebrate my first official anniversary of blogging please leave a comment here by 5th December ! A short story featuring sweet peas will soon be winging its way to the winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment