Sunday, December 13, 2009

A Cautionary Tale



Like long ago essay deadlines Christmas shopping usually sees me living on the edge. This year, despite having all the time in the world, has been no exception. I realised last week how near on the horizon Christmas is and decided that I must be proactive. So on Friday I switched the reluctant shopper button on and headed by bus into Chester. I would like to say it was a successful mission but elementary mistakes were made. The first of these was forgetting to write a list so I fell at the first hurdle.

One or two little gifts were purchased though as well as some festive fare. The latter including a stollen has been secreted away in case himself eats it - the man is a serious serial stollen addict and I do not want to put temptation in his way. Before leaving town I wondered into that bastion of the British high street M&S to pick up one or two bits and bobs from their food department. Before I could do that I was mesmerised by the most colourful display of orchids that were 'This Week's Bargain Buy' and indeed they were at half price, all of £4.99p. Now could I resist - of course not! After what seemed like half an hour of uming and aaaahing I finally selected one and placed in my shopping trolley. By the time I left the store I was laden down and creatively or so I thought, rearranged my shopping so the orchid slid into a long bag, which already held a roll of wrapping paper. This left me with just two bags to carry - no sweat. Back onto the bus and I merrily daydreamed away the journey home. Stepping off the bus and walking along I soon felt that something was missing. I looked down and it dawned upon me that I was minus a bag - the one containing my new plant. A rather unladylike four lettered word involuntarily slipped from my lips. So I returned home to relate my loss to himself. Later after finally tracking down the phone number of the local bus depot (this required the sleuthing ability of Miss Marple) and a four hour wait before the bus finally returned there, I was delighted to hear that my bag with its contents still intact had been handed in to the driver. It was yesterday though before the two of us were reunited. The moral of this story is not to be tempted by horticultural goodies when out on the important business of Christmas shopping. Keep to the matter in hand!

No comments:

Post a Comment