Friday, September 4, 2009

Stairways of hope…

In Rio de Janeiro…in an area called Santa Teresa…in a hidden alley

is a masterpiece of sorts

stairs5

stairs7 stairs3

Artist Jorge Selaron worked tirelessly

hands bleeding, penniless.

…In the beginning, everyone laughed at me I covered the steps in green, blue and yellow tiles – the colors of the Brazilian flag. As I worked, my profession changed from painter to sculptor, my hands covered in blood, calluses, irritating and in pain. Even though the work was difficult, I was passionate about it.

The rent was late, the phone was cut but every time I succeeded in finding some money, I bought materials and continued, obsessed and possessed. I worked without rest and I stopped when I had no more material left. When that happened, I painted paintings to earn some money so that I would be able to continue my work. I have put much of my life into my masterpiece. I have invented a fantastic unique technique which consists of constantly changing the tiles. This gives a unique energy, and makes it a living, mutating work of art with over 2000 different tiles, collected in over 60 different countries.”

stairs6

stairs4

Meanwhile…On the other side of the world in Wuppertal, Germany

artist , Horst Glasker. Painted a work on public stairs called Scala.

The german words on the stairs

are describing the emotional connections

between human beings.

Love. Passion. To pine...

stairs8

stairs9

stairs

I dunno...Ya gotta love the tenacity...the where-with-all...the passion...the pain.

Embrace public art.

Climb the stairs.

MaybeThink as you do.

I know I will.

find more sources of inspiration...and perspiration at Julia's

No comments:

Post a Comment