Sunday, September 13, 2009

Prayer in the form of peanut butter. And chocolate.

pb 003

Everyone I know who has the disease chooses to live.

Vic chooses to live.

Determined, stately, strong. Spitting at the malevolent face of cancer.

Surviving.

pb 026

The man with the gentle puddle of soulful blue eyes.

Has the steel of a Vietnam Veteran behind them. A marine.

This propels him. His family propels him. A life-force field.

He lives.

pb 034

I?

I can cook…I can bake. Yes I can do that.

Peanut butter? Chocolate? Creamy?

Yes. I can do that. Happily…

as a gift of love. As a gift of strength.

pb 036pb 039

I… don’t know close up how this beast preys. How it consumes . how it maligns

But wish

no pray…

That somehow the peanut butter and chocolate will be a magic tincture of good over evil .

pbchoc 001

The beauty…the therapy…in baking for a friend

is that each added ingredient has meaning…has memory

The mere whisking of ingredients is indeed prayer.

for wholeness.

for health.

for peace.

for hope.

And so I whisk...

pbchoc 010

pbchoc 006

Dum spiro… spero

From the Latin: As I breathe…I hope

Make your own Chocolate Peanut Butter prayer from this recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment