Sunday, November 1, 2009

GBMD November -''Gathering Leaves"



Artist- Ida Rentoul Outhwaite

Oh nnnnnnnno it's Nnnnnnnnovember - the one month of the year that I struggle to find anything positive to say about ! This poem though never fails to make me smile as I think of leaf collecting with spoons. The rain has stopped and I am off to try. Could be a new technique to get on top of the ever gathering mounds.

'Spades take up leaves
No better than spoons,
And bags full of leaves
Are light as balloons.

I make a great noise
Of rustling all day
Like rabbit and deer
Running away.

But the mountains I raise
Elude my embrace,
Flowing over my arms
And into my face.

I may load and unload
Again and again
Till I fill the whole shed,
And what have I then?

Next to nothing for weight,
And since they grew duller
From contact with earth,
Next to nothing for color.

Next to nothing for use.
But a crop is a crop,
And who's to say where
The harvest shall stop? "

~ "Gathering Leaves" - Robert Frost.


You can enjoy more thoughts, poems and musing at Garden Bloggers Muse Day hosted by Carolyn Gail at Sweet Home and Garden Chicago.

No comments:

Post a Comment