Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Five A Day

F IS FOR?

FRUIT!
I am so excited as I have finally bought three apples trees which are destined for the allotment. It has only taken us about us as many years to get round to this ! We visited Ornamental Trees Nurseries in Shropshire this morning and selected the trees which are all on dwarf M27 rootstock. This will hopefully mean that the trees will not reach any great height. Strictly speaking fruit trees are not allowed at the allotment but I have noticed that fellow plot holders seem to get round this by growing dwarf rootstocks. I have a corner plot and am planning on planting the trees alongside the fence which overlooks the main path, so there is no danger of the trees casting shade on neighbouring crops. The three varieties we chose are Katy, Sunset and James Grieve - the first two are eaters whilst the latter is dual purpose. Tonight the plants are sheltering in the greenhouse as it has been that windy that I had visions of them toppling over, snapped branches and sustaining other damage before they are even in the ground. They will make their way to the allotment soon. I am still not sure still that I made the right selection but time and tasting will tell.

More fun featuring the letter F can be found over at ABC Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment