Sunday, April 11, 2010

Planning And Plotting



Why is it that the arrival of spring always catches me by surprise and never quite ready for a new growing year? After all we had such a long cold winter surely there should have been enough time to get my house or in this case garden/allotment in order. It has been a glorious spring weekend here and I have been at the allotment for a good part of the time. I did get some work done - planted some potatoes, pruned the getting stragglier by the day eglantine rose, wrestled to extract some surplus comfrey plants and even struggled with some paving slabs to make a mini path. I have also sown carrots and radishes. Between bouts of activity it was good to stand in the sun and catch up with lottie neighbours. Good also to see the first flowers of the year on the plot apart from the daffodils - some violas planted at the back end of the year have come to life in the last week or so. The foliage is very bedraggled and I suppose I should replant but who could resist the face above?



However I also spent a good deal of time perched on the edge of one of the raised beds surveying my kingdom, notebook and pen in hand. For the life of me I can't remember what was planted exactly where last year and my notebook containing this precious information seems to have disappeared in the long winter void. Notes and sketches have been penned but it seems that I am growing more seedlings than I have space for and fitting them all in is going to be a challenge. In the meantime my autumn sown peas are flowering before I have got them in the ground! I have apologised to them and will remedy the situation forthwith.

No comments:

Post a Comment