Monday, December 1, 2008

Tropical tidings...

Ok...You might have read that I once came kicking and screaming to this fair and docile State.
embarassing but true...dropping head.

But...Hey...I was the original Christmas girl. Really...the only one.


Winter...hot chocolate at the first snow fall...skiing...skating


cozy fires. Rosy cheeked kidlets. mittens warming on the vent.

When we would move to a new home...the first thing I placed in my mind

was the Christmas tree!

And it was always simply beautiful, winter. Snow outside lit up the season.

Switzerland as a child...

later with kidlets of our own,
Upstate Ny in the hills...Colorado in the mountains...NY in the Catskills.


Then came......FLORIDA??! screeech!!

Where will we put the tree?!?

How can we frame the year without seasons? No snow??

10 years later it has seeped into my soul...well really, it seeped in about 6 months later...Just as much as my snowy winter homes.


There is such a subtle beauty with the season changes here...it feels like my senses are so heightened.

seasonal colors have changed for us...

what was once red and green is now fuschia pink like the blooming bromeliads, that feel like gifts when they serenade us in purple and the brightest pink only at Christmas.

When I once used the hardy forest green color of the sturdy pines,

I now am drawn to a more tender yellow- green... of new growth.

I notice the ocean changes in mood and color in the winter.

It seems more thoughtful, more greyed...more serene. More private.


And...so goes the decorating of the season..In my new to me home of 10 years.

I love using the foliage and plants

be they coconut or pineapple...

Adding found gifts from the sea to the garland and wreaths...starfish, shells...



eating outside...what a privledge. What beauty



Using what we have...palm fronds


make a hearty wreath...and make sense in our clime...


They celebrate with the best of them...maybe more gently,

like the winter sea.


A beautiful nautilus can hold it's own with any

tinsel star...just look at that proud specimen!

perfectly






...And Santa...well


He's stoked too! Hang ten old man!!!

Enjoy your beauty that surrounds you this season...

lucky you!


thank you Coastal living for use of your photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment