Saturday, June 15, 2013

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day - June 2013


Just one bloom from me today - one that is new to my garden this June - astrantia 'Gill Richardson'. Gill fell into my hands last year but languished in the cold frame for some months until I had the right spot for her. She is now resident in the new gabion border. Apart from a rather alarming wilt during the warm start we had to the month she seems to be settling in well.  A couple of other red astrantias grow in the garden, namely 'Ruby Wedding' and 'Hadspen Blood'. They have always seemed less sturdy than their more pastel relatives but no so 'Gill Richardson'. In terms of sheer vigour and flower power it looks on first acquaintance that 'Gill' is going to be a star. I don't know much about Gill other than that she is a fairly recent introduction and was named after a Lincolnshire plantswoman so I'm interested in finding out more about her. I have a feeling that in a more 'normal' year weatherwise that she would have come into her stride sooner but will have to wait and see.

Have you got any new to you flowers blooming for the first time in your garden this June? Do go and visit 'May Dreams Gardens' to discover other entrancing June flowers.


No comments:

Post a Comment