Friday, October 5, 2012

YOU deserve to stay here….you really do.

   I don’t know about you….well, actually…I think I DO know a bit. Love that.

But me?  I LOVE old    I love ancient    I love vintage….I love cobblestone streets   I love sandy lanes.

I love meandering.

winter-park-florida-300x200

I love beautiful landscape. I love being connected through history in my houses and my towns….even

maybe especially…in my people. 

I live in Florida.

cue:: screeeech :: coming to a halt::

images

Ok…I love Disney as well as the next. No, wait, NO I don’t.

Indeed…there ARE gorgeous corners that aren’t Disney~fied in this state.

I LOVE finding them…and  love when they find me.

And when I do….I sigh a little sigh….and breathe a little deeper.  I just do. Sorry Goofy. I do.

When I can….I love finding a local hotel…Not the chain which  CAN be  wonderful and consistent.

But I love different, unique…some history…often boutique.

Boutique is maybe a misnomer…doesn’t have to be fancy, posh…I don’t need wine coming out of the walls

 but HAVE stayed in one such place… here. Oh My. Go if you can.

  Gaudy, wacky and Small works well for me.

And I search for it. Spooky is even ok…Like this place…My kids SWEAR it was haunted.

 

Enter: Winter Park, Florida. At the fringes of all that is Disney, in Orlando.

But oh so much more.

This past weekend we had the lovely experience of spending time in this cobblestone clad town.

We chose to stay at the vintage Park Plaza Hotel….

IMG_3776

IMG_3790

smack in the middle of the town…surrounded by, and above many  great unique stores and restaurants…

Speaking of stores…I Loved this place…you get to taste a bounty of different oils and vinegars….

Me? I brought home Red apple white balsamic vinegar to pair with sage mushroom olive oil.

Fall. sigh.

IMG_3800

IMG_3782

The streets are old cobblestone. There are also regular stores…cloaked in vintage architecture…

IMG_3785

IMG_3784

 

IMG_3783 Restaurants galore….and small parks

IMG_3780

and train stations…

IMG_3788

IMG_3792

IMG_3794

IMG_3793

And art. lots and lots of art…and relaxation.

IMG_3801

The hotel was everything I love….ancient  for Florida standards

IMG_3803

IMG_3774

creaky wood floors…brass key fobs…valet parking

IMG_3802

Robes….

IMG_3724

and breakfast in the morning on your balcony overlooking the main street

IMG_3739 IMG_3743

The room was a touch mysterious…small doors leading…   where?  But perfect for us.

IMG_3764

IMG_3765

Other rooms  there are only 28  have original brick walls.

and…maybe we invited a FEW too many friends to join us

…as we enjoyed our breakfast

IMG_3754

 

 IMG_3759

Whatev.

The more the merrier.

No?

IMG_3787

If you are near….Find Winter Park. Stay at Park Plaza.

Because.

No comments:

Post a Comment