Sunday, August 5, 2012

Coconut rice and red beans on a Sunday afternoon…

But of course

IMG_3565

This is a very flexible recipe…make it your own.

I always use some coconut milk and lime to make it mine

lime in the coconut. yep

IMG_3549

You can add any kind of protein…chicken, shrimp, tofu…or none at all.

I used boneless skinless chicken thighs…grilled and chopped

marinate them in teriyaki sauce if you like.

IMG_3539

Lots of veggies….chopped. Carrots , zucchini, broccoli, sweet potatoes, celery…water chestnuts are always fun and crunchy.

Whatever you have in your garden…or local store…

Sauté them with some sesame oil and olive oil…keep ‘em crunchy.

IMG_3544

Grate the carrots and the sweet potatoes, though…they cook faster

IMG_3543

Fresh ginger…oh how I love the taste and smell of fresh ginger…I could count the ways

IMG_3547

The rice is simply cooked with coconut milk and red or black beans and a tad of agave syrup

you can certainly use brown or white sugar….whatever floats your boat

I like brown rice…but Jasmine rice is pretty darn amazing too.

IMG_3566

I add some pineapple juice to the sauce…which also has some prepared chili ginger and teriyaki sauce added…

I think it is too salty so cut it with fresh pineapple juice…

IMG_3548

…and then I may or may not add some of said pineapple juice to a glass of ice with

some coconut rum and a lime… while I cook. adds to the tropical feel ya know.

Just load the coconut rice and beans on the plate…put veggies and chicken on top…drizzle with sauce and a squeeze of lime

and Voila. Dinner is served…with a touch of the tropics…

IMG_3561

Adapted from this recipe here

try it. you’ll like.

No comments:

Post a Comment