Friday, April 6, 2012

Flowering Now

Flowering now and most welcome is the above clematis which I think might be clematis alpina 'Columbine'. I can't be sure as it is a case of the label/memory has long since gone. I have been looking at the excellent clematis resource 'Clematis On The Web' for a positive id but I am still not sure. It it is one of those quiet understated and undemanding plants, which in a short spell of time turns from a tangled twiggy mass to fresh green leaves and softly coloured flowers. Some years the flowers are more prolific than others - this year sadly they are sparse. I wonder if it's a consequence of last year's dry April. It considerately produces a second flush in some years but this is not always guaranteed. Sorting through my seeds recently I came across a little brown envelope full of fluffy seedheads so will be sowing these imminently. I may have a wait to see what the offspring produce but worth having a go. You can also take semi ripe cuttings from these plants later in the year. They originate from the mountains of Europe and north Asia and as their home and as the name suggests they are very hardy. Best of all as far as I'm concerned they do not need pruning. I'm hoping to fit another alpina (different colour) into the garden, so any recommendations would be more than welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment